Wednesday, June 24, 2009


This is the first pie of the season for me. Had such a great time making it. I used a recipe from Baking With Julia. Yes even chefs follow recipes. Especially when it come to pastries. Basically flour, butter, Crisco, and Ice water and of course salt. I bought the peaches from the Farmer's market on Saturday and spent about 4 hours from start to finish. I par cooked half of the peaches with sugar, flour, black pepper, and fresh thyme. Then added the other half of raw peaches to the cooked ones and let cool. From there rolled out the chilled dough, filled it, put the top on, gave it another 20 min in the fridge. From there 375 degrees till it looked like this. Most of all my dad really enjoyed it. Just happened to be his favorite kind of pie.


With the left over dough I had from making the peach pie I made a quiche for lunch. Since this dough doesn't have any sugar in it, it opened up some options to use it in a savory application. First up I rolled out the dough and blind baked it. While that was going on i rendered some bacon lardons, used the rendered fat to cook
shallot, summer squash and a pinch of chili flake. This and the custard base were the filling for the quiche. We just happened to have some truffled cheese in the fridge so I topped the quiche with it then bruleed it. Served it with a pursalene, parsley, and green olive salad simply dressed with EVOO and lemon juice.













Naomi's Gray Goose Vodka, St. Germaine, Blueberry, mint afternoon cocktails. Amazing and so refreshing.

2 comments:

  1. Well...that sounds great!!!My mom is cooki'n from your book!
    for a secont blog you did graet.I look foward to more chef noah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending shivers down my spine. Who would think to put pepper in peach pie but I can see how that would work. And NO! no pie crust cookies from your leftover dough. Youve got enough to make a savory quiche. Ah! thats what you get when you send a talented young man off to school to become a chef. I appriciate your passion for your work. its your life.

    ReplyDelete